Tuesday, April 22, 2014

2000AD - Prog 1876



Cover by Alex Ronald is a terrific image. Pity the story inside doesn't match but there you go. The logo survives better than the windows do. For some reason I'm imagining an injured Bruce Wayne sitting slumped in a chair and then saying "That's it, Father. I shall become one of a pair of Pulp Fiction inspired hit men and then overstay my welcome."

Judge Dredd: Mega-City Confidential part 3 by John Wagner, Colin MacNeil, Chris Blythe and Annie Parkhouse 
The plot thickens and it would appear that my guesses about Blixen and the oldster were wrong. MacNeil pours on the layers of noir with shadows, Dutch tilt angles, and figures in silhouette. It reminds me of an old Vortex comic called Mister X which was in turn inspired by silent movies and film noir. I like the way you can trace the path of the data slug through this episode. Top thrill still.

Outlier part 3 by T.C.Eglington, Karl Richardson and Annie Parkhouse.
Flashback mode as we see the crew of the Outlier and their encounter with the disabled Hurde ship. Classic science fiction stuff like Rendezvous with Rama or Event Horizon. I'd rather have this than Grey Area any day.

Slaine The Brutania Chronicles part 3 by Pat Mills, Simon Davis and Ellie De Ville
Do not, under any circumstances, mention the jolly green giant or any tinned corn companies. More Pagan ritual history from Mr Mills but I need Slaine to get on that boat now. Bit of a filler episode this time.

Sinister Dexter: The Generican Dream part 3 by Dan Abnett, Smudge and Ellie De Ville.
If you can't say something nice, say nothing.

Jaegir: Strigoi part 3 by Gordon Rennie, Simon Coleby, Len O'Grady and Simon Bowland
Before the Gang of Four can gets started on their mission they have a few loose end war criminals to tidy up. That's the third week in a row that I've managed to reference a 1980s band here, I hope you're keeping score. Second best art in the prog behind MacNeil. And the story has me hooked. I love the idea of the honourable heart of the Norts cleaning house before setting out to track down one of their experiments that has gone terribly wrong.

Pick of the Prog is of course Dredd but Jaegir might give him a run for the money if the plot takes off.

No comments:

Post a Comment